Subject: Payment error - training needed
From: Release Concierge <[email-masked]>
To: Saurabh Dadu <[email-masked]>, Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], release <[email-masked]>
Cc: Release Concierge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 13:32:27 -0500

Hello,
Two days ago, Arjun booked appointments for Kevin and Cate Sullivan for
12/12: Mini Day w salt stone massage for Kevin and Day of Release (DOR) for
Cate. But he didn't properly charge for a mini day with salt stone massage
nor charge anything for Cate.
Can one of you review with him how this should be done properly? And remind
him that he needs to "apply payment" at the end of the transaction? When
"apply payment" is not visible, it signals that the bookings were charged
incorrectly.

Here are Cate's appts:

Here is the payment by Kevin:

Thank you.

(I will take care of correcting this since I need to contact the guest,
refund the payment, and recharge everything.)

Kris