Subject: RE: 23339134-Feyenoord vs BSC Young Boys - Europa League 2019-20- 07/11/2019-Stadion Feijenoord, Rotterdam, NL-Fan Seller-Assign to Dutch language agent.
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "'India Inbox'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Pravesh Singh'" <[email-masked]>, "'Stephen Blake'" <[email-masked]>, "'Anurag Pradhan'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 11:42:46 +0200

<mailto:[email-masked]> @[email-masked] - Please action
the below and reply all this email thread. 

Thanks 

Zack 

From: India Inbox <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, 05 November 2019 11:37
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Pravesh Singh <[email-masked]>; Stephen Blake
<[email-masked]>; Anurag Pradhan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 23339134-Feyenoord vs BSC Young Boys - Europa League 2019-20-
07/11/2019-Stadion Feijenoord, Rotterdam, NL-Fan Seller-Assign to Dutch
language agent.

 <mailto:[email-masked]> @[email-masked]

Can you assign to Armando? He is working on the case from the buyers side
also as they are dutch. Order was subbed. Seller had to ship by 12:00 UTC.
Seller shipped after 4pm. At 3.20pm, seller was advised we have taken over
his order but still shipped

Could seller be advised this is why he is being charged? 

Kind regards,

Breda

  _____  

From: Anurag Pradhan <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Monday, November 4, 2019 11:52:56 PM
To: India Inbox <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Cc: Pravesh Singh <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: 23339134-Feyenoord vs BSC Young Boys - Europa League 2019-20-
07/11/2019-Stadion Feijenoord, Rotterdam, NL-Fan Seller-Assign to Dutch
language agent. 

Hi Breda,

Seller requested for a call back in Dutch. Can you please assign this case
to a Dutch agent.

Regards,

Anurag

  _____  

From: "Pravesh Singh" <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
To: "Anurag Pradhan" <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Monday, 4 November, 2019 22:18:41
Subject: 23339134-Feyenoord vs BSC Young Boys - Europa League 2019-20-
07/11/2019-Stadion Feijenoord, Rotterdam, NL-Fan Seller-Assign to Dutch
language agent.

Hi Anurag,

With reference to T ID: 23339134, Seller called and informed that he has
shipped the tickets before extended deadline, seller claiming that tickets
have been shipped today before 12. We have substituted the order to
23348304. According to the Tracking Number : 1Z019F4A0492415747 tickets are
in transit and it was shipped at 11/04/2019 4:37 P.M.

Seller requested for call back in Dutch language. I have asked seller to
send us the receipt of UPS where is shows that tickets were shipped before
the extended deadline.

Can you please assign this case to any agent who can proceed in Dutch
language.

Kind Regards,

Pravesh