Subject: Issues on Fan Page
From: Elitsa Todorova <[email-masked]>
To: Chantelle Russak <[email-masked]>, Yaaf Ederi <[email-masked]>, Yulia Jeshinko <[email-masked]>, Hila Alon <[email-masked]>, Support Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 14:06:15 +0300
List-Id: <scsupport.luckgenome.com>

Hi,

I have a couple of concerns:

1. Why did we post this:
https://www.facebook.com/SlotsCraze/photos/a.368626863217602/1913586202054986/?type=3&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCBfNKi3rNt3QEKU_IfSqzBvi-6aAkMgPcjfQcVuQ_J-e8PqEcup8SB3KgZDigVhxu1lx-tEIPh6x-MYgqUF_EswXAdQ_bF-A1gfOxjHyQe3m9w4WOq0dyufMG_8SX7WtMuek9ZIFFhguIUrHIe9lFNVAk87fsOh7iVKWgdbqHTieNaCc-CAw&__tn__=-R

Jennifer Mushasha, who has been repeated requesting we run 10x10 level up
promo saw it and wrote to us, asking why we posted when we didn't run the
event. The wording in the post makes it hard to argue with her (we said "I
started yesterday, still have a few hours to go")

2. There are still posts going up with expired links (a couple in the past
few days)

3. There are a few posts that have links with no multiplier on the coins.

@Support Team <[email-masked]> please be more vigilant with
checking the Fan Page on a daily basis and fixing links that have issues.
You should also be moderating spam comments (I see a couple of those which
were not deleted). Please scroll back to about 4 days ago and fix these
issues.

-- 

*Elitsa Todorova* | Support Manager

Luck Genome | GamePoint TLV

(Mob: +359 (0)88 560 7694

*E-mail: [email-masked]