Subject: BLX Assessment Test
From: Subir Chakma <[email-masked]>
To: Naveen Rawat <[email-masked]>, Nivesh Agarwal <[email-masked]>, Subodh Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 13:08:33 +0530 (IST)

1) A Cx says he is upset with the services, wants to close his account. 

2) Cx has contacted Cx service after a stipulated time frame and had he contacted earlier we might have helped him 
out, however we have to inform him that we can't help him now. 

3) Cx wants a manager but he is not available. How would you reply? 

4) Frame a sentence in email as well as Chat to convey to the cx that Blx has charged him a price which though he 
feels is higher than the competition is actually rational basis the pricing structure using volumetric weight. 

5) You have to repeat the same answer but in a different way to reiterate your point and rest your case 

“I understand you are unhappy that the re-packing request you gave us cannot be carried out as warehouse informed 
us that the same is not feasible and that your item is optimally packed.” 

Cx:I want you to try again and get the same re-packed as I got a similar item repacked before. 

Your Answer: 

6) Your senior sends you a mail involving a feedback on some work you did. It wasn't particularly pleasant. What 
would be your reaction/course of action? 

7) You explain to the Cx about volumetric weight but he does not accept your argument and wants some discount. How will you reply to the customer. 

8) Cx has a shipment in his account awaiting release. He is waiting for another incoming shipment, however, storage fee will just apply and Cx is requesting extension for couple of days. What will be your response. 

9) Cx has a shipment in his account which is marked prohibited. He is very disappointed and claims it is not listed clearly on the website. How will yo handle the situation. 

10) State 3 points how training could have been better or you would have done it differently. 

_____________ 

Subir Chakma 
Operations 
LiveSalesman.com 

Phone: +91 120 4332621, Ext: 2 3 
Mob: +91 9716481117 
Skype: subirlsm