Subject: Test -- SalonSwipe
From: Manish Negi <[email-masked]>
To: Akhil Walia <[email-masked]>
Cc: Subir C <[email-masked]>, Ashok katoch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 13:34:55 +0530 (GMT+05:30)

SalonSwipe EOT 

Date: 06-05-2012 
Name: Manish Negi 

All questions are compulsory 

1.How can I use card reader with my mobile? 

The card reader plugs into the audio jack of your mobile phone . 

2.What is the difference in swiping and keying the card number? 

A swiped transaction is when you swipe a credit card through the card reader. A keyed transaction is when you hand type the credit card information into the 
app. 

3.If I don’t have a smart phone. How can I use your service? 

Our card reader is compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and most Android phones. 

4.How is SalonSwipe related to PhoneSwipe? 

We don’t want potential customers to know about it. 

5.What is the charge on credit card transaction? 

There are 2 rates; swiped and keyed. When you swipe the card its 2.69% and when you key-in the card number it’s 3.49% + 19¢ per transaction. 

6.How will I get money for all the transactions charged for my customers? 

A checking account established by a merchant (you) with a merchant processor (like North American Bancard) to receive payment for credit card transactions. 
A unique and secure merchant identification number is assigned to identify each merchant to the merchant processor for accounting and billing purposes. Funds 
deposit directly into your checking account within 24-48 hours. 

7.How do I get a replacement card reader? 

You need to contact our Customer service to get the replacement of card reader, you can call 1-877-725-6690 and press option #5 for our 
Customer Care Support. You will not be charged anything for the replacement of the card, it's FREE. 

8.How can I complete the application process? 

For that you need to sign up with Salonswipe first, after singing up you will recieve an e-mail with activation link, you just need to click that link and enter your 
details to proceed with the order. 

9.I am not able to login my account North Amercan bancard. Can you help? 

I suggest you to please contact our customer service at 1-877-725-6690. 

10.Can I use your service to charge my customers in Thailand? 

Just to inform you that, we provide our service only in U.S.A.