Subject: Ticket Assigned - REQUESTING FOR FULL TAX INVOICE
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 11:53:46 +0000

Hi nitesh singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  REQUESTING FOR FULL TAX INVOICE To whom it may concern:

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I called 800-BABYSHOP Two or three weeks back to request for a full tax
invoice of my previous purchased but until now i didnt received any
feedback and call back to attend my request. They told me that it might
take two to three days before ill received the requested full tax invoice
but so disappointing that until this time i didnt get it. I explained to
them that I needed the full tax invoice with the stamp logo of the company
for us to refund our purchased to the authority which requested it since
they rejected the generated invoice that i received from the first time..
In the invoice, it should be purchased by MINISTRY OF CLIMATE CHANGE AND
ENVIRONMENT.

Kindly please take action in this matter and i hope for a requested full
tax invoice as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours,
Ms Gaile Ann Momblanco
0508041803

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/229392