Subject: My Apologies
From: K KD <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:54:12 -0400

Hi Pravesh, Pritish and Deeksha,

I have just become aware of the situation concerning our guest who was
unable to take the stairs for her services.

I want to emphasize that Pravesh did the correct thing by calling the front
desk, and furthermore he has been a tremendous asset to our team.

Thank you all for taking this important issue so seriously- I appreciate
you all.

The mistake here is mine; I was not aware of our accommodations for facials
in the Sanctuary Building.

So sorry Pravesh and team!

On the bright side, thanks to Linda, this situation has been able to be
handled professionally!

We are taking this opportunity to make our team stronger- thank you all!

-- 
*Kind regards,*
*Krystyjana  *

The Release Well-Being Team
Guest Services Manager/Lead - Facilities and Heart

****Supporting the Well-BEing o**f our *
*Release Community since November 2021****

*WE'VE GOT THIS FELLOW-RELEASERS!!!!!*