Subject: Talkdesk Feedback
From: Paula Panikova <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Customer Feedback <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 12:33:49 +0000

Hi Pritish,

I hope you're doing well.

My name is Paula and I'm the Customer Success Manager for Epos at Talkdesk.
I have noticed some feedback you left around having some issues using the
platform. I'm really sorry to hear that, as this really is not the
experience we want for our customers.

Would you be able to describe what you are experiencing so I can learn a
little more about what has been going on and hopefully drive some
improvement for you?

Thank you and have a great day

-- 
Paula Panikova
Commercial Customer Success Manager - Client Services
+351917757334
 <https://www.talkdesk.com/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/Talkdesk/> • LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/talkdesk/> • Twitter
<https://www.twitter.com/Talkdesk/> • Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/talkdesk/>
<https://www.talkdesk.com/resources/reports/talkdesk-named-leader-in-2020-forrester-wave-for-contact-center-as-a-service/>