Subject: Re: Mad customer #88498
From: Phaedrus Arif <[email-masked]>
To: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:22:27 +0530

No worries.I pacified her so she's cool now. Offered her a 50 percent
refund and STS... She has an order history with us so no point in
aggravating her.

All cool for now.

Thanks

On Tue, 24 Mar, 2020, 7:12 PM Pritish Nandi, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Bhai,
>
> Got a call from a customer who was pissed off on AS. She said she did not
> do. I gave her earfull of lecture and she was pissed more :). She said she
> would dispute and report to BBB. I have sent her returns instructions as
> she was asking for Label. bhai dekh lena :)
>
> Regards,
> Pritish Nandi
>