Subject: Re: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets
From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 01:53:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Charlotte, 

The password was changed recently. 

Here is the new password - p@ssword12 

Regards, 
Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, March 2, 2020 1:28:20 PM 
Subject: RE: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Does this password still work? I’m getting a failed login 

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	| 	Customer Support B2B 
Les Mills International 	| 	[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 
www.lesmills.com 
[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 
[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, 20 February 2020 8:13 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Sure, 

The login details are below: 

Username- [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

Pwd- p@ssword1 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 7:49:33 AM 
Subject: RE: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

What’s the login detail Pritish? I think it’s best I check it myself before raising with the Salesforce team. Thanks 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Friday, 14 February 2020 2:32 am 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Hi Charlotte, 

I am sorry however I am not entirely sure what you mean. I can click on accounts and contacts and get the recently viewed accounts or contacts. However I am unable to see any details when I search via username. I do not see any accounts of contacts when searching via username. Attached are the screenshots. 

Do let me know if you need anything else. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 3:23:55 AM 
Subject: RE: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Ok and if you click on ‘Accounts’ and ‘Contacts’ when searching for the username? 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Wednesday, 12 February 2020 9:05 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Hi Charlotte, 

Sure, I have searched the customer using the email address as per the screenshot shared by you. After the search it shows me "Mark Brooks" as contact : 

As soon as I click on the Name hyperlink for "Mark Brooks" it goes to this page and it is stuck there. 

This happens everytime I click on the Name. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:20:25 AM 
Subject: RE: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Hi Pritish, 

Can you send me what you see when you click on ‘Mark Brooks’ and ‘Accounts’ and ‘Contacts’ as below? 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Sunday, 9 February 2020 12:11 am 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: lesmills < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Hi Charlotte, 

Attached is the updated files with usernames. 

Just wanted to update you that I do not have option to check the account in SF using email or username. I did raise it earlier when you advised that SF team is checking this further. Example screenshot is attached below. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2020 2:41:43 PM 
Subject: Re: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Sure Charlotte, 

Will do and send you the updated file. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Friday, February 7, 2020 4:17:16 AM 
Subject: RE: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Hi Pritish, 

Thanks for this, can you add an additional column for username and check Salesforce to make sure their Virtual programs are ‘operational’. I just want to make sure the survey goes out to existing Virtual users and not those that have cancelled. 

Any you’re unsure about please highlight. 

No rush for this, Monday would be great. 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Friday, 31 January 2020 4:58 am 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: lesmills < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Email address for customer - Last 6 month support tickets 

Hi Charlotte, 

Attached is the customer email address who contacted us for the last 6 months. I have added the ticket numbers as well and removed duplicate entries. Do let me know if you need anything else. 

Regards, 

Pritish Nandi