Subject: Re: Note Added - [#737203] Shipping inquiry from Amazon customer Dana(Order: 114-6441778-5049052)
From: Suzanna Pavelle <[email-masked]>
To: "Pritish Nandi (LSM)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Christina Runk <[email-masked]>, Michelle Sarnowski <[email-masked]>, Dan Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 15:27:23 -0500

Hi Pritish,

Good morning (assuming you are not in the US now).

Yes, you are correct. Only a small portion of this snippet will cover what
I'm aiming to achieve.

When you and your team are answering our tickets, my goal is to have your
team facilitate the work for the US team when we get in. So, if we are
missing information, have an angry customer, etc. It always helps to ask
the customer to call us. You can use two or three snippets together and
modify them to answer any relevant queries for that one customer.

For this one, I'd likely start with the snippet of:"* If you wish to
discuss this with us, please call M-F from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. EST. We can
be reached at: (855) 874-2453 *

*If you refer to ticket 737203 we can easily look up your order.I hope the
rest of your week is fantastic."*

And would have initially changed it to:

Dear Dana,

I am so very sorry your storage cabinet was missing any pieces. If you can
take a moment to look at the manual (I've attached it for your convenience
NOTE! LOOK FOR THIS IN THE PORTAL), and let us know what you need, we'll
happily ship any parts to you at the shipping address of:
Dana Tomello
1725 Ocean Ave Apt 103
Santa Monica, CA 90401

If you prefer to chat, please call M-F from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. EST. We can
be reached at: (855) 874-2453

If you refer to ticket 737203 we can easily look up your order.

I hope the rest of your week is fantastic.

We look forward to resolving this for you ASAP.

If there is anything further we can provide you with, please do let us
know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Suzanna Pavelle
Venditio Group, LLC
Vilano Bikes /
 Conquer
Sports / Optima

(904) 419-7560

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM CyclingForLess Amazon <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Deeksha Dadu added a note and wants you to have a look.
>
> Ticket URL:
> http://help.venditiogroup.com/helpdesk/tickets/737203
>
> Subject:
> Shipping inquiry from Amazon customer Dana(Order: 114-6441778-5049052)
>
> Requester: Dana
>
> Note Content:
> Thank you. I think the snippet's do not go right with the issue this
> customer reported. However, I understand that we can surely use some parts
> of the snippet (like phone number and time) and use it for these kind of
> issues. I will update the team on that.
>
> Regards,
> Pritish
>
> 737203:251140
>