Subject: Les Mills Audits - 24 and 25th Dec
From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
To: Abhijit Sinha <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, Arjun Hurry <[email-masked]>, " Bharat Sharma" <[email-masked]>, Maksim Semenov <[email-masked]>, Nikhil Mittal <[email-masked]>, Olesia Dhas <[email-masked]>, Adithya Srivastava <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: deeksha <[email-masked]>, saurabh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:25:26 -0700 (MST)

Hi All, 

PFB audits for Les Mills. 

23 Dec 2019 

Ticket 	Issue 	Was it handled correctly 	Charlotte Note 	Name of Agent 	Feedback 	Status 	Categorization 	Correct Categorization (Y/N) 	Comments 
3076 	Invalid 	Yes 	NA 	Bharat 	They are owner and instructor however they are not referring to Les Mills Digital Releases app. This is definitely an invalid ticket for us however, they are saying the purchased Barbells from us and 6 of them are broken. They want a replacement for them and chasing us for 6 months. Also their CXM is not replying. 	Waiting 	Invalid 	Correct 	Issue with Les Mills Equipment purchased. 
3077 	App issue 	Yes 	NA 	Pritish 	NA 	Waiting 	Traning Req 	Correct 	App update issue 

24 Dec 2019 

Ticket 	Issue 	Was it handled correctly 	Charlotte Note 	Name of Agent 	Feedback 	Status 	Categorization 	Correct Categorization (Y/N) 	Comments 
3079 	Ipad issue 	Yes 	NA 	Pritish 	NA 	Resolved 	Training Req 	Correct 	Ipad was not working 
3081 	AV issue 	Yes 	NA 	AJ 	NA 	Waiting 	AV 	Correct 	Kibana disconnections 

25 Dec 2019 

Ticket 	Issue 	Was it handled correctly 	Charlotte Note 	Name of Agent 	Feedback 	Status 	Categorization 	Correct Categorization (Y/N) 	Comments 
3082 	LMOD 	Yes 	NA 	AJ 	Please always add notes of the call in the ticket 	Closed 	Invalid 	Correct 	LMOD case 
3083 	Login Issue 	Yes 	NA 	AJ 	NA 	Waiting 	App Deleted 	Correct 	App was deleted 

Regards, 
Pritish Nandi