Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party
From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: deeksha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 00:17:44 -0700 (MST)

Understood, Thank you. We are now following as per your advise. 

Regards, 
Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]> 
To: "deeksha" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:20:25 AM 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

No need, just for future please 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

www.lesmills.com 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, 18 December 2019 5:37 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]> 
Cc: Pritish Nandi (LSM) <[email-masked]>; lesmills <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Should we send another email to the same customers with screenshots attached in the correct language? 

Apologies for this mistake. 

Regards, 

Deeksha 

Sent from my iPhone 

On 18 Dec 2019, at 02:29, Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > wrote: 

BQ_BEGIN

Hi Pritish, 

Screen shots need to be in the appropriate language please, as they will not make sense if they’re in English. I did ask for this to be done so please do so for the future. 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 

	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 

	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 

	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 

	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 

	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 8:08 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: lesmills < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; deeksha < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

We have translated the response as per the language of the customer. Even the instructions were added in the same language of the customer. Unfortunately, the screenshot was in English only. Apologies for that. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 1:24:31 AM 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

Ok thanks, was the email translated and the equivalent screen shot added for the appropriate language? Could you create an article under 7 common scenarios and add the email templates please. 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 

	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 

	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 

	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 

	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 

	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 3:39 am 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: lesmills < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; deeksha < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Please accept my apologies for the confusion. It seems the issue was from our end which I was not aware of. It was fixed and we have sent emails to all the customers using the Outlook Web Access. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:41:19 PM 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Thank you for the details. 

I have tried logging into the outlook mailbox and encountered an error attached in this email. Please review and advise. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:41:03 AM 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Could you please confirm what the username is? I see the password in this but not the username. 

Thanks 

Regards, 

Deeksha 

Sent from my iPhone 

On 3 Dec 2019, at 06:09, Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > wrote: 

BQ_BEGIN

Hi team, 

We’ve created a mailbox so that you can email customers outside of Freshdesk and it comes from a [ http://lesmills.com/ | lesmills.com ] email address. Please can you try it out by emailing me from it as a test. 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 

	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 

	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2019 1:22 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

Hi, 

Turned the account to a mailbox. 

Automated password is: Cow15466 

URL: [ https://outlook.office.com/ | 
https://outlook.office.com ] 

	

	

	

Dave Overington ​ 	

| 	

IT Support 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

tel [ tel:+64%209%20366%209900 | +64 9 366 9900 ] 	

| 	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 

	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 

	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Friday, 29 November 2019 8:51 AM 
To: Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Dave, 

Any news on that support inbox? 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 

	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 

	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

BQ_END

BQ_END