Subject: Re: RECEIPT OF TWO CONSIGNMENTS ON ORDER EH201904021118-277526 OF 02/04/2019.
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 04:32:13 -0800

Handled, the ticket number is 84459

THANK YOU,
Bryan

_____________________________________________________________________

----- Original Message -----
From: "edwin simataa" <[email-masked]>
To:<[email-masked]>
Cc:
Sent:Mon, 11 Nov 2019 10:38:51 +0200
Subject:RECEIPT OF TWO CONSIGNMENTS ON ORDER EH201904021118-277526 OF
02/04/2019.

I write to inform you that on the above order, I received two parcels
due to the fact that the first parcel that was sent on 04/04/2019
tracking # UM617668957US took too long to arrive and worse still was
untraceable in the tracking system. In June after lodging a complaint
about the non-arrival of the parcel, you sent me another one on
11/06/2019 tracking # CY106333273US. This one was fantastic in that I
was able to track it and more so arrived in real-time that was on
12/07/2019. As for the first parcel sent on 04/04/2019 arrived late
last month.
In view of the inconvenience, the above might have caused to both you
and me, I seek your guidance on how we can help each other.
Regards.