Subject: Re: EH-201911012237-100701 Order Modifications
From: "- Dr. Sam Robbins -" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: manager <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], "Deb ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>, Saem Asrar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 09:30:54 -0800

Hi Bryan - I spoke to Saem, who is on this email thread and he said to
please tell him about it first, the cause, etc... and then we can proceed
as usual.

So, please reply back to all, and let him/us know and then we'll continue
thanks

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 8:55 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Dr.Sam,
>
> I hope that you are doing great.
>
> This customer has accidentally order the CheatMeal today along with the
> order supplements, I've made the required changes in the order history
> using the UltraCart and I've replaced the CHEATmeal with the CholesLo, so I
> just wanted to inform you that please do not ship any CHEATmeal for this
> customer.
>
> Thank you,
> Bryan
>
>