Subject: Re: EH-201910180951-544156 - Tracking Info
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:53:17 -0700

ZD#83872.

AJ
HFL Customer Support

----- Original Message -----
From:
 "Saem Asrar" <[email-masked]>

To:
"- Dr. Sam Robbins -" <[email-masked]>
Cc:
<[email-masked]>
Sent:
Sun, 27 Oct 2019 01:42:08 +0500
Subject:
Re: EH-201910180951-544156 - Tracking Info

This order was delivered to the customer today.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 12:28 AM - Dr. Sam Robbins -
<[email-masked] [1]> wrote:

thanks for the follow up =)

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 12:19 PM Saem Asrar <[email-masked] [2]>
wrote:

Amazon's tracking works in mysterious ways. 

They might issue a tracking number today but deliver a product after
seven days. On the other hand they might issue a tracking number after
seven days and deliver the product the same day. 

However the fact remains that they have the best and most efficient
shipping network in the world.

Regarding Order # EH-201910180951-544156 Amazon has not yet provided
a tracking number but they show that the expected delivery is by Oct
29. Please tell the customer that we are using the best shipping
service available and that their order will be delivered shortly etc
etc

Regarding Orders from Oct 18 & 19. This is the only order without
tracking information.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM HFL Support Team <[email-masked]
[3]> wrote:

Order:  EH-201910180951-544156
Name: Roy Carubia

Hi Saem

There is no tracking info and the customer is upset as the order has
not been delivered yet and no tracking information has been emailed to
him.

Please check and advise soon as the customer mentioned about
cancelling the order.

P.S. - I have come across quite a few orders from 10/18 that doesn't
have the tracking information updated in UC and the customers have
been contacting us for the shipment status. Is there any issue with
Amazon shipping?

Regards

Dave

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[email-masked]
[2] mailto:[email-masked]
[3] mailto:[email-masked]