Subject: Re: Download Removal Status
From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
To: deeksha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 20:34:31 -0700 (MST)

Hi Deeksha, 

He has downloaded the app and logged in using our ID which is [email-masked]. He has gone through everything practically and not just in theory. I was never sent this Onboading email so I managed how I could have. I would request you to please pass it on to Charlotte. 

I have shared the Onboarding email with the agent and asked him to set it up asap. 

Regards, 
Pritish 

From: "deeksha" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, 25 October, 2019 08:48:38 
Subject: Fwd: Download Removal Status 

Sent from my iPhone 

Begin forwarded message: 

From: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Date: 25 October 2019 at 07:24:51 GMT+5:30 
To: Deeksha Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: Saurabh Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: RE: Download Removal Status 

BQ_BEGIN

Thanks Deeksha, it doesn’t appear that any hands on training has taken place though, as the temporary password is still active. We need to get the agent using the APP and scheduler today please. 

It’s a public holiday here on Monday but I’m available for anything urgent. 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Deeksha Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Thursday, 24 October 2019 6:05 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: Saurabh Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Download Removal Status 

Hi Charlotte, 

Pritish told me that the following topics have been covered. He will complete the training in 2 more days. 

Les mills intro and history 

Different Les mills product 

How virtual is different from others 

Implementation of virtual 

Onboarding process 

Required equipments and diffrences on apple adaptor, iPad versions, 

EDID in detail 

Scheduler completely 

App completely 

7 common scenarios 

Freshdesk completely 

Playback issues and recommend checks 

Complete training on Master scheduler 

We are left with error messages and few solution articles, iPad OS, Kibana. 

Please do let me know if you need any other info. 

Regards, 

Deeksha 

Sent from my iPhone 

On 24 Oct 2019, at 09:40, Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > wrote: 

BQ_BEGIN

Thanks Deeksha, can you give me an update on how the training of the Japanese agent is going please? What has Pritish covered so far? 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Deeksha Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Thursday, 24 October 2019 4:09 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: Saurabh Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Download Removal Status 

Hi Charlotte, 

Pritish is on off today. I just got off the phone with him. He says he missed this email and did not ask Amira to work on the data. I am very sorry about it. Amira has taken sick leave today. AJ left an hour back and he tried to download these reports but the reports were not loading. He was getting 502 Bad gateway error. He said it does happen with Kibana sometimes and fixes on its own. 

I will have another agent Mridu in the shift a in a few hours who is also trained on Kibana fully. Infact, she and Amira are the ones who take out the data and reports that Pritish sends you. He guides them wherever needed. 

I will get Mridu take out this data and send you in next few hours. 

Moving forward, I will make sure that the team gets these requests in time and there is no delay in sending you the data. 

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. 

Regards, 

Deeksha 

From: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Date: Thursday, 24 October 2019 at 4:18 AM 
To: "Pritish Nandi (LSM)" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: Deeksha Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: RE: Download Removal Status 

Hi Deeksha, what’s the delay with this data? I understand Pritish is busy training this week but surely Amira has time? I’m under the impression she is trained on kibana. Thanks 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Thursday, 17 October 2019 10:35 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: deeksha < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Download Removal Status 

Hi Charlotte, 

Attached is the updated file with re-download status. Will check again on Sunday for the rest of the clubs to see if the classes have re-downloaded again. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Wednesday, 16 October, 2019 10:30:26 
Subject: RE: Download Removal Status 

Great thanks, please check if they’ve re-downloaded and if this re-download has been successful via the file size in Kibana. 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 14 October 2019 10:36 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: deeksha < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Download Removal Status 

Hi Charlotte, 

PFA the updated files. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 14 October, 2019 14:11:08 
Subject: RE: Download Removal Status 

Thanks but this doesn’t highlight which clubs have downloads removed since the last update. Please compare against the first report and mark ‘YES 14.10’ instead of ‘Yes’ 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat |  ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ |  ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness |  ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ |  ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 14 October 2019 1:59 am 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: deeksha < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Download Removal Status 
Importance: High 

Hi Charlotte, 

Attached is the files with Download Removal status. 

Regards, 

Pritish Nandi 

BQ_END

BQ_END