Subject: Re: Ticket Completion report - Oct 14, 2019
From: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
To: "Pritish Nandi (LSM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 02:33:42 +0000

Hi,

Why do we have send them details for what we did in a ticket? Did the my ask for it?

Regards,
Deeksha

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Oct 2019, at 21:12, Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi Dan,

PFB the ticket which we have touched upon today.

Sorry unable to send eBay report as unable to login.

Ticket Report -

http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709254 - Amazon cancellation - Done, tagged Chris.
http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709266 - Product Specification, replied on Ebay.
http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709272 - Notes added for Dan along with response as we are not able to login to returnsoutlet on eBay.
http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709343 - Notes added for Dan/Colby
http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709267 - Tagged Dan for AWS suspension
http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709295 - replied to the Customer
http://help.venditiogroup.com/a/tickets/709138 - AWS suspension - Informed Dan

Regards,
Pritish Nandi