Subject: Fwd: Lourdes Santos - your order has been shipped!
From: HFL Support Team <[email-masked]>
To: manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 13:37:09 +0530

Handled under  #80811

Regards,
Chris

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lourdes Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: Lourdes Santos - your order has been shipped!
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Good day, sir. In my chat last time with your staff, they advised me to
follow up on my BFO order by contacting our local Post Office, tracking #
UM620710938US.

The Post Office said that in their database, the tracking # is "Unknown".
They asked me to ask you for the following information:

1. Was it sent as air parcel?
2. Was it sent as registered?
3. Is the tracking # correct?

Pls note that the order was made June 30 and until today, Aug 6th, it has
not arrived.

Kindly assist me in locating where the parcel is.  Would it help if you ask
your Post Office if they have a record of where the parcel is right now?

Thank you for whatever assistance you can give to locate where the parcel
is.

Lourdes Santos

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
<https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 11:54 PM, Dr. Sam Robbins / 4HFL.com
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Lourdes Santos,

Thank you for your order. We wanted to let you know that your package
(#EH-201906300127-055013) was shipped via USPS, USPS First Class Mail Intl
on 7/1/2019.  You can track your package at any time using the link below.

*Shipped To:*
Lourdes Santos
3621 Sining St. corner Aliw-iw St.,
Barangay Moneca, Sta. Mesa
Manila, METRO MANILA 1016 PH

*Track Your Shipment:*

This shipment includes the following items:

*Item #* *Description* *Qty*
BFO3 Blood Flow Optimizer (3) 1

Thank you for your support. Wishing you a very *happy & healthy day!*

Sincere Regards
HFL Customer Care Team
http://HFLsupport.com - *24/7 support [chat, phone & email]*
http://4HFL.com
<http://emailtracking.shipstation.com/wf/click?upn=0PLZqFmfNmqC1zxwC9MhIjPf75DLm685ZxHJbN-2BQCz0rq-2B9nsRx9npxHaKO48JEiOGKo7oG61RCC1cy1RK-2BnKQ-3D-3D_Cccw0QqwCfUmPxHL3WWwsfJamCtDEny1k8XXT89HZe3KdMYekW2ivZ1cDvc-2BOAnCOPizor-2BsJDYtdn-2FKQ25kOYQW4ipLAEahUM3ZPVnwovPEY9cl678h7B29s09FZWvybENpA-2BTnY9kqJjWJtdxJA0sXIQ-2BbejgA9vkIGWHWdVOzOj9-2FLBppOh2wf5MI7OU40B8gTN2EPLGJChXPR5xeta-2BlIocpdbrvKcc8yFwP-2FkMq5VMiGZ50BkZN0QcBFIqahr3Qj6l4thOalnVK7XuCf2Z-2FQhEeiC67aJbaIA1T9K4M8Ith4wREcQZzi-2BiFuiBR>
- our site

<http://emailtracking.shipstation.com/wf/click?upn=mVwBhtRd6X05tTOFBDozS-2BcvVxx8yCWCw8PXICJs6gw-3D_Cccw0QqwCfUmPxHL3WWwsfJamCtDEny1k8XXT89HZe3KdMYekW2ivZ1cDvc-2BOAnCOPizor-2BsJDYtdn-2FKQ25kOYQW4ipLAEahUM3ZPVnwovPEY9cl678h7B29s09FZWvybENpA-2BTnY9kqJjWJtdxJA0sXIQ-2BbejgA9vkIGWHWdVNce1LGjdn0ZDbA08Ss-2BwGAPE9Rem4HrQbN0DRBAav-2F5s8-2F3gALynYYOsmc813pu3ahrbmmyoeWIKX-2F8gQ9goXzOvaspSF27cmNbVRgz618byfpRnlwBRzUS-2F2cvP5am1gGfRBPoYSj9666iknLSApv>