Subject: Ticket Assigned - Joie baby stroller wrong product
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 10:29:04 +0000

Hi Seeta Kunwar,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Joie baby stroller wrong product Hello support team,

I want to return the product.please find attachment of reference images.

Last Friday I went your baby shop sharjah city center and I purchased joie
baby stroller. Today I received product but whatever I seen in your store
not match  all options.even I was in the store I select the available
product. But your shop sales representative give preference to me order
online you will get offer price.  Then I ordered product in your store
online hiosk.she select all the things and I just fill my details. She just
asked color only. Even I asked her many why you are not giving offer in
store only giving in online shop.. She said because you need to wait 3 days
so price difference. So now I want return product. So please arrange person
for return pickup.this is totally your side mistake.

Thanks
Ravikumar
0585963868

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/363951