Subject: Ticket Assigned - SHOE SIZE AVAILABILITY.
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 06:45:28 +0000

Hi Seeta Kunwar,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  SHOE SIZE AVAILABILITY. Hi There,
This is to inform you that I have been experiencing issues regarding shoe
sizes availability for particular models.
I placed an order online and ordered size 45 for Perforated Formal Brogues
for Men in offer Buy 1 get 1.
I also checked your size chart before ordering and i had a doubt that your
size chart is wrong, also i confirmed with a female customer service
representative that is UK 11 is EU 45 she said yes as its in your size
chart, but actually UK 11 is 46 EU internationally.May differ to particular
brands.
Then as i also had a word about exchanging the sizes i went in the Shoemart
store in Burdubai, they said 45 is the maximum size available for men.
This is foolish, You should have at least sizes available up to 47 Euro.
You don't know if people have size greater than 45.
You should keep size options available for all the models.
You have 46 size available for only 1 model which is very common design.
Also if a particular customer demands for a specific size can't you order
for him or her??
I was very unhappy after knowing that my size is not available.
Now i have requested a return for my order.
I am sending you pictures for what i want in Size 46 euro, if available in
any of your Shoemart store please let me Know
Thanks
Jatin Makhija
+971523990147.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/128517