Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delivery Inquiry
From: Lifestyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2019 16:17:25 +0000

Hi Seeta Kunwar,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delivery Inquiry  Hi Team,
             Customer came back on the chat for the THIRD time and are very
frustrated because no one has contacted them back, they would like to know
the status of their order. Please follow up with them on urgent basis.
Attach is the chat transcript. 

Order No: 9752292889
Customer's Contact Details
Name: Sana 
Phone Number: 0566260202
Email Address: [email-masked]

Regards,

Ashley Williams

Livechat-logo

Senior Supervisor

Email: I Tel: (+44) 208 133 7353

 <http://www.livechatltd.com> www.livechatltd.com I Skype: ashley_11271

Address: Suite 306 Citygate House, Business Centre Stratford, 246-250
Romford Road, London, E7 9HZ, United Kingdom

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/116012