Subject: Re: Laura Burns heads up
From: Kris Waldman <[email-masked]>
To: Release Concierge <[email-masked]>
Cc: Linda Townsend <[email-masked]>, Rebecca Dybala <[email-masked]>, KKD D <[email-masked]>, Kristin Esper <[email-masked]>, Saurabh Dadu <[email-masked]>, Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>, release <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:35:49 -0400

We may get a return call from Laura letting us know if she wants a return
to her account or a check.
I just left her a vm to follow up with Rina's response to her offering one
or the other since we can not process a refund to her credit card.

(This to follow up with Pravesh's email to us stating:
Laura called requesting to cancel an MDR (90 min massage)  and a DOR
appointment booked for her friend Michelle Castle and process the refund
back into her CC. Thank you!)

*Rina* - if we don't hear anything by Wednesday, would you please follow up
again?

Thanks team!
Kris

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 6:45 PM Release Concierge <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> There was a situation tonight with Laura Burns. She was looking to refund
> her day with her friend- as an early cancellation. I am unable to do the
> refund she wants because it looks like Julia already made a refund to that
> transaction... As you all know we cannot do multiple refunds to one
> transaction!
>
> I've left a voicemail to Laura and texted her asking whether she wants the
> refund of $ 468 back onto her account or to write her a check. I have not
> heard back yet.
>
> I don't know whether it was Julia or not- but regardless if we could
> kindly be reminding our staff to let leads do refunds- to avoid this type
> of situation. It's looking like whoever is here on Tuesday might need to
> follow-up with Laura. I will leave the email in the inbox in case anyone
> needs.
> Reach out with any further questions.
>
> Thank you,
> Katarina
>

-- 
Best,
Kris Waldman
Concierge Services and Events Manager