Subject: URGENT! Zendesk User’s Email Updated
From: "Epos Email" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 13:22:02 +0000

URGENT! Do not ignore

 Email address of a Zendesk user has been recently updated.

 User ID
 Old Email
 New Value
 Date & Time of Update

 [email-masked]@gmail.com2020-10-01T13:21:
41Z

 Please verify that this update was not done by mistake. If there are
multiple tickets associated with the same user, they all may have been
affected.

 Even if you as a recipient of this email did not make this change, please
check with other team members.

 Please verify and take corrective action immediately to avoid GDPR Breach.

 LSM