Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party
From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: lesmills <[email-masked]>, deeksha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 00:16:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi Charlotte, 

This is understood and will surely be sending the screenshot in the same language as the email. Once again I am sorry about this one. I am sure going forward you would not b seeing this error again from us. 

Regards, 
Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "lesmills" <[email-masked]>, "deeksha" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 2:29:25 AM 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Pritish, 

Screen shots need to be in the appropriate language please, as they will not make sense if they’re in English. I did ask for this to be done so please do so for the future. 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

www.lesmills.com 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 8:08 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]> 
Cc: lesmills <[email-masked]>; deeksha <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

We have translated the response as per the language of the customer. Even the instructions were added in the same language of the customer. Unfortunately, the screenshot was in English only. Apologies for that. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 1:24:31 AM 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

Ok thanks, was the email translated and the equivalent screen shot added for the appropriate language? Could you create an article under 7 common scenarios and add the email templates please. 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Pritish Nandi < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 3:39 am 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: lesmills < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; deeksha < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Please accept my apologies for the confusion. It seems the issue was from our end which I was not aware of. It was fixed and we have sent emails to all the customers using the Outlook Web Access. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "Pritish Nandi" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:41:19 PM 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Thank you for the details. 

I have tried logging into the outlook mailbox and encountered an error attached in this email. Please review and advise. 

Regards, 

Pritish 

From: "deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Charlotte Jansen" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "lesmills" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:41:03 AM 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Charlotte, 

Could you please confirm what the username is? I see the password in this but not the username. 

Thanks 

Regards, 

Deeksha 

Sent from my iPhone 

On 3 Dec 2019, at 06:09, Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > wrote: 

Hi team, 

We’ve created a mailbox so that you can email customers outside of Freshdesk and it comes from a [ http://lesmills.com/ | lesmills.com ] email address. Please can you try it out by emailing me from it as a test. 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2019 1:22 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

Hi, 

Turned the account to a mailbox. 

Automated password is: Cow15466 

URL: [ https://outlook.office.com/ | 
https://outlook.office.com ] 

	

	

	

Dave Overington ​ 	

| 	

IT Support 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

tel [ tel:+64%209%20366%209900 | +64 9 366 9900 ] 	

| 	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Friday, 29 November 2019 8:51 AM 
To: Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Dave, 

Any news on that support inbox? 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills |  ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international |  ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ]