Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party
From: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Pritish Nandi (LSM)" <[email-masked]>, lesmills <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 04:37:08 +0000

Hi Charlotte,

Should we send another email to the same customers with screenshots attached in the correct language?

Apologies for this mistake.

Regards,
Deeksha

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Dec 2019, at 02:29, Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Pritish,

Screen shots need to be in the appropriate language please, as they will not make sense if they’re in English. I did ask for this to be done so please do so for the future.

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 8:08 pm
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: lesmills <[email-masked]>; deeksha <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

We have translated the response as per the language of the customer. Even the instructions were added in the same language of the customer. Unfortunately, the screenshot was in English only. Apologies for that.

Regards,
Pritish

________________________________
From: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "lesmills" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "deeksha" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 1:24:31 AM
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party

Ok thanks, was the email translated and the equivalent screen shot added for the appropriate language?  Could you create an article under 7 common scenarios and add the email templates please.

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 3:39 am
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: lesmills <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; deeksha <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

Please accept my apologies for the confusion. It seems the issue was from our end which I was not aware of. It was fixed and we have sent emails to all the customers using the Outlook Web Access.

Regards,
Pritish

________________________________
From: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "lesmills" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "deeksha" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:41:19 PM
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for the details.

I have tried logging into the outlook mailbox and encountered an error attached in this email. Please review and advise.

Regards,
Pritish

________________________________
From: "deeksha" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "lesmills" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:41:03 AM
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

Could you please confirm what the username is? I see the password in this but not the username.

Thanks
Regards,
Deeksha
Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Dec 2019, at 06:09, Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi team,

We’ve created a mailbox so that you can email customers outside of Freshdesk and it comes from a lesmills.com<http://lesmills.com> email address.  Please can you try it out by emailing me from it as a test.

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2019 1:22 pm
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party

Hi,

Turned the account to a mailbox.
Automated password is: Cow15466

URL: https://outlook.office.com

Dave Overington​
 |
IT Support
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
tel +64 9 366 9900<tel:+64%209%20366%209900>
 |
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Friday, 29 November 2019 8:51 AM
To: Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Support inbox for third party

Hi Dave,

Any news on that support inbox?

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>