Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party
From: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
To: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
Cc: lesmills <[email-masked]>, deeksha <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 19:54:31 +0000

Ok thanks, was the email translated and the equivalent screen shot added for the appropriate language?  Could you create an article under 7 common scenarios and add the email templates please.

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 3:39 am
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: lesmills <[email-masked]>; deeksha <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

Please accept my apologies for the confusion. It seems the issue was from our end which I was not aware of. It was fixed and we have sent emails to all the customers using the Outlook Web Access.

Regards,
Pritish

________________________________
From: "Pritish Nandi" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "lesmills" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "deeksha" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:41:19 PM
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for the details.

I have tried logging into the outlook mailbox and encountered an error attached in this email. Please review and advise.

Regards,
Pritish

________________________________
From: "deeksha" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "Charlotte Jansen" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "lesmills" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:41:03 AM
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Hi Charlotte,

Could you please confirm what the username is? I see the password in this but not the username.

Thanks
Regards,
Deeksha
Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Dec 2019, at 06:09, Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi team,

We’ve created a mailbox so that you can email customers outside of Freshdesk and it comes from a lesmills.com<http://lesmills.com> email address.  Please can you try it out by emailing me from it as a test.

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2019 1:22 pm
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party

Hi,

Turned the account to a mailbox.
Automated password is: Cow15466

URL: https://outlook.office.com

Dave Overington​
 |
IT Support
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
tel +64 9 366 9900<tel:+64%209%20366%209900>
 |
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Friday, 29 November 2019 8:51 AM
To: Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Support inbox for third party

Hi Dave,

Any news on that support inbox?

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>