Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party
From: Olesia Dhas <[email-masked]>
To: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Arjun Hurry <[email-masked]>, tasuku yamamoto <[email-masked]>, Anush Saxena <[email-masked]>, Bharat Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 21:50:29 -0700 (MST)

Kim Walker Sam Aldred 

From: "Deeksha Dadu" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Arjun Hurry" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "Olesia Dhas" <[email-masked]>, "tasuku yamamoto" <[email-masked]>, "Anush Saxena" <[email-masked]>, "Bharat Sharma" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:18:33 AM 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Which two other LM employees, do u know? 

Sent from my iPhone 

On 11 Dec 2019, at 09:39, Arjun Hurry < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > wrote: 

Hi Deeksha, 

FYI, Charlotte asked us to email a report to her and 2 other LM employees, but we haven't been able to access the Outlook mailbox since 12/3. Screenshot attached. 

Thank you, 
AJ 

From: "Olesia Dhas" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Deeksha" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "tasuku yamamoto" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Anush Saxena" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "bharat sharma" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "arjun hurry" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Tuesday, 3 December, 2019 13:01:51 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

<11484889.944999944> 
Error... 

Regards, 
Olesia 

From: "Deeksha Dadu" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "Olesia Dhas" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: "tasuku yamamoto" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Anush Saxena" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Bharat Sharma" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Arjun Hurry" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:53:41 PM 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

From: Olesia Dhas < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Date: Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 9:53 AM 
To: Deeksha Dadu < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Cc: tasuku yamamoto < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, Anush Saxena < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, Bharat Sharma < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, Arjun LSM AJ < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party 

Good morning Deeksha 

I can't sign in to this mailbox because i don't know email ID for this account 

<163420.60999997193> 

Regards, 
Olesia 

From: "Deeksha Dadu" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
To: "tasuku yamamoto" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Anush Saxena" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Olesia Dhas" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Bharat Sharma" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >, "Arjun Hurry" < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:09:01 AM 
Subject: Fwd: Support inbox for third party 

Sent from my iPhone 

Begin forwarded message: 

BQ_BEGIN

From: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Date: 3 December 2019 at 06:09:20 GMT+5:30 
To: lesmills < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: FW: Support inbox for third party 

BQ_BEGIN

Hi team, 

We’ve created a mailbox so that you can email customers outside of Freshdesk and it comes from a [ http://lesmills.com/ | lesmills.com ] email address. Please can you try it out by emailing me from it as a test. 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2019 1:22 pm 
To: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party 

Hi, 

Turned the account to a mailbox. 

Automated password is: Cow15466 

URL: [ https://outlook.office.com/ | https://outlook.office.com ] 

	

	

	

Dave Overington ​ 	

| 	

IT Support 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

tel [ tel:+64%209%20366%209900 | +64 9 366 9900 ] 	

| 	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

From: Charlotte Jansen < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Sent: Friday, 29 November 2019 8:51 AM 
To: Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] >; Dave Overington < [ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] > 
Subject: Support inbox for third party 

Hi Dave, 

Any news on that support inbox? 

Thanks 

Charlotte 

	

	

	

Charlotte Jansen ​ 	

| 	

Customer Support B2B 

Les Mills International 	

| 	

[ mailto:[email-masked] | [email-masked] ] 

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ | www.lesmills.com ] 

[ https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat ] 

	

[ http://www.lesmills.com/ ] 	

[ https://www.facebook.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://twitter.com/lesmills ] 	

[ https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international ] 	

[ https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness ] 	

[ https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/ ] 

BQ_END

BQ_END

BQ_BEGIN

<LM Outlook Mailbox error 12.11.19.PNG> 

BQ_END