Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party
From: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
To: Olesia Dhas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Tasuku Yamamoto <[email-masked]>, Anush Saxena <[email-masked]>, Bharat Sharma <[email-masked]>, Arjun LSM AJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 07:23:41 +0000

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

From: Olesia Dhas <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 9:53 AM
To: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: tasuku yamamoto <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Anush Saxena <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Bharat Sharma <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Arjun LSM AJ <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: Support inbox for third party

Good morning Deeksha

I can't sign in to this mailbox because i don't know email ID for this account

Regards,
Olesia

________________________________
From: "Deeksha Dadu" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
To: "tasuku yamamoto" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Anush Saxena" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Olesia Dhas" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Bharat Sharma" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Arjun Hurry" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:09:01 AM
Subject: Fwd: Support inbox for third party

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:
From: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: 3 December 2019 at 06:09:20 GMT+5:30
To: lesmills <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: FW: Support inbox for third party

Hi team,

We’ve created a mailbox so that you can email customers outside of Freshdesk and it comes from a lesmills.com<http://lesmills.com> email address.  Please can you try it out by emailing me from it as a test.

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Monday, 2 December 2019 1:22 pm
To: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: RE: Support inbox for third party

Hi,

Turned the account to a mailbox.
Automated password is: Cow15466

URL: https://outlook.office.com

Dave Overington​
 |
IT Support
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
tel +64 9 366 9900<tel:+64%209%20366%209900>
 |
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>

From: Charlotte Jansen <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Sent: Friday, 29 November 2019 8:51 AM
To: Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>; Dave Overington <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Support inbox for third party

Hi Dave,

Any news on that support inbox?

Thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Jansen​
 |
Customer Support B2B
Les Mills International
 |
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
www.lesmills.com<http://www.lesmills.com>
<https://www.lesmills.com/getbodycombat>
<http://www.lesmills.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
<https://twitter.com/lesmills>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/lesmillsgroupfitness>
<https://www.instagram.com/lesmillstribe/>