Subject: Re: SSBS audits
From: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
To: "Pritish Nandi (LSM)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Adithya Srivastava <[email-masked]>, Anush Saxena <[email-masked]>, Apoorv Joshi <[email-masked]>, Arjun LSM AJ <[email-masked]>, Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>, Bharat Sharma <[email-masked]>, Mridu Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>, Saurabh Dadu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 07:01:32 +0000

Guys, how did this happen?? Explain please. This is NOT AT ALL ACCEPTABLE

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Nov 2019, at 09:56, Pritish Nandi <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi All,

PFB SSBS audits.

@Adithya/Bharat/Anush - How did you guys missed SLA's?

8 Nov

Ticket  Agent   Ticket Time     Response Time   Time Taken      SLA Met Assigned to correct technician? Comments        Queue   Status
60524   Adithya 11/8/2019 12:52 11/8/2019 13:08 0:16:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60525   Adithya 11/8/2019 14:04 11/8/2019 14:23 0:19:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60526   Bharat  11/8/2019 16:11 11/8/2019 16:16 0:05:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60527   Bharat  11/8/2019 16:57 11/8/2019 17:04 0:07:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60528           11/8/2019 18:15 11/8/2019 18:15 0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60529   Adithya 11/8/2019 18:38 11/8/2019 18:41 0:03:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved

9 Nov

Ticket  Agent   Ticket Time     Response Time   Time Taken      SLA Met Assigned to correct technician? Comments        Queue   Status
60531   Aj      11/9/2019 5:14  11/9/2019 5:19  0:05:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60532           11/9/2019 6:49  11/9/2019 7:09  0:20:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60533   Bharat  11/9/2019 7:26  11/9/2019 7:40  0:14:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60534   Mridu   11/9/2019 7:28  11/9/2019 7:41  0:13:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60535   Mridu   11/9/2019 7:41  11/9/2019 7:42  0:01:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60536   Bharat  11/9/2019 8:32  11/9/2019 8:35  0:03:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60537   Bharat  11/9/2019 8:34  11/9/2019 8:36  0:02:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60538   Mridu   11/9/2019 9:19  11/9/2019 9:19  0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60539   Bharat  11/9/2019 9:25  11/9/2019 9:25  0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60540   Mridu   11/9/2019 9:57  11/9/2019 10:00 0:03:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60541           11/9/2019 11:25 11/9/2019 11:25 0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60542           11/9/2019 11:36 11/9/2019 11:36 0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60543   Mridu   11/9/2019 13:17 11/9/2019 13:17 0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60544   Bharat  11/9/2019 13:20 11/9/2019 13:22 0:02:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60545   Adithya 11/9/2019 14:20 11/9/2019 14:21 0:01:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60546   Bharat  11/9/2019 15:05 11/9/2019 15:11 0:06:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60547           11/9/2019 15:50 11/9/2019 15:52 0:02:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60548   Mridu   11/9/2019 15:54 11/9/2019 15:58 0:04:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60549   Bharat  11/9/2019 16:09 11/9/2019 16:26 0:17:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Resolved
60550   Bharat/Adithya  11/9/2019 16:28 11/9/2019 16:28 0:00:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60551   Bharat/Adithya  11/9/2019 16:40 11/9/2019 17:34 0:54:00 No      Yes     NA      Other   Open
60552   Bharat/Adithya  11/9/2019 17:00 11/9/2019 17:34 0:34:00 No      Yes     NA      Other   Open
60553   Bharat/Adithya  11/9/2019 18:12 11/9/2019 18:36 0:24:00 Yes     Yes     NA      Other   Open
60554   Anush   11/9/2019 23:11 11/10/2019 5:17 6:06:00 No      Yes     NA      Other   Hold
60555   Anush   11/9/2019 23:59 11/10/2019 5:19 5:20:00 No      Yes     NA      Other   Open

10 Nov

Ticket  Agent   Ticket Time     Response Time   Time Taken      SLA Met Assigned to correct technician? Comments        Queue   Status
60556   Anush   11/10/2019 3:59 11/10/2019 5:21 1:22:00 No      Yes     NA      Other   Open

Regards,
Pritish Nandi