Subject: English Language Test - Nitish Arya
From: Nitish Arya <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 02:50:14 -0400

Foreign Language Screening Test

 

NameNitish  Arya    /  (0120) 9971475698    / [email-masked]
your first languageEnglishBased on your understanding of situation 1 above,
assuming you are the customer service representative, please draft a response to
customer's email. Please make sure that your email is grammatically correct and
properly formatted.Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Greetings from Baby Shop,

This email is in regards to your query about your last order of a hand bag.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We have checked with the courier partner and found that the given address is
incorrect.

Kindly share the correct address along with area pin code and contact details so
that, we can assist you further in getting the hand bag deliver to you.

In case of any further assistance, please write back to ................. or you
can call us on .............

Best Regards,
Nitish Kumar Arya
Baby ShopBased on the Situation 2 above, please draft an email response to the
customer. You don't necessarily need to know the policy of the brand, but use
the best practice from e-commerce companies that you've shopped from so far to
know the policies.Dear Abdul,

Greetings from Home Box,

Thank you for contacting us about your concern related to TV Cabinet 

We sincerely apologize for getting scratched TV Cabinet installed.

We would like to inform you that we have forwarded this TV Cabinet replacement
complaint to our field team.

One of field team executives will visit at your address within 24-48 working
hours.

Service ID: 12598 

In case the executive ask, please share the above the mentioned service ID.

In case of any further assistance, please write back to ................. or you
can call us on .............

Best Regards,
Nitish Kumar Arya
Home Box