Subject: Trainer Candidate - Ashwani Gupta
From: Ashwani Gupta <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 01:35:04 -0500

Tech Support Test

 

NameAshwani [email-masked] Number(+91) 8800249055Do
you have your own transportation (2 or 4 wheeler) or are you able to commute to
office without using Metro? Our office is located in Noida Sector 2, near Noida
- Sector 15 Metro StationI have my own 2/4 wheeler transportWhere do you
currently live (area)Janakpuri WestPlease give us details of your last 3
employments including current. If you've not worked in 3 companies, please enter
NA Name of CompanyDesignationLast working dayMonthly Salary (inhand)Current
EmployerAVATAR FoundationManager40000Previous Employer 1Galway Foundation CSR
Coordinator 30000Previous Employer 2Jet Airways PVT LtdCSA25000If Selected, how
much time do you need to join?15 daysPlease briefly describe your work
experience specifically in Quality?I have worked in many sectors like 
Airtel: For the collection department and escalation
Maakan.com(peoples group): CRM and quality check for listings 
Safexpress: Escalation cases and Business Development
Galway Foundation: Module development & Trainers training
AVATAR Foundation: Research and data management along with coordination for
publications
 Have you worked as a Quality Manager in a Call Center/Customer Service/BPO
Environment?NoWhat according to you is the difference between good and great
customer service. (Explain in 4 - 6 sentences)Good customer service: Resolve the
query 

Great Customer service: Understanding the customer issue, issue priority,
solving the issue but in a stipulated time as per the priorityWhat according to
you makes you a good candidate for this position?My multiple industry
experiences. I had worked for multiple companies with varieties of work profiles
that made me a package to become a good problem solver and can train candidates
to tackle in their work spaceOn a scale of 1 - 5 please rate your fluency in
spoken English4