Subject: Arabic Language Test - Muhammed Junaid Palankandy Chittikkoth
From: Muhammed Junaid Palankandy Chittikkoth <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 02:05:07 -0400

Foreign Language Screening Test

 

NameMuhammed Junaid  Palankandy Chittikkoth    /  (+974) 30192453   
/ [email-masked] your first languageArabicBased on your understanding of
situation 1 above, assuming you are the customer service representative, please
draft a response to customer's email. Please make sure that your email is
grammatically correct and properly formatted.Dear Customer, I'm Muhammed Junaid
from babyshop.com Customer support team.
This is regarding your order # 123456
First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We have Shipped your order same day when the order was placed. 
Our courier team tried to deliver the order but your address as per the courier
was wrong, so we couldn't deliver your order on time. 
We kindly request you to provide the correct address so that we can deliver the
item without any delay.

Thank you 

Warmest Regards,
Muhammed Junaid PcBased on the Situation 2 above, please draft an email response
to the customer. You don't necessarily need to know the policy of the brand, but
use the best practice from e-commerce companies that you've shopped from so far
to know the policies.Dear Mr. Abdul,
I am Muhammed Junaid from customer service team.

first of I regret the inconvenience caused. Please accept out sincerest
apologies.

Thank you for sharing the images and writing shortly about the issue.

After studying the issue, we have found that your claim is true.  So we will
replace the cabinet with new one.

Thank you. Hoping to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Muhammed Junaid 
Customer Service team 
Homebox