Subject: Re: German Language Test - SHIVEK KUMAR SICKY
From: Nikhil Mittal <[email-masked]>
To: HR Livesalesman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 01:42:28 -0700

hi,

Speaking can be done, if required.. If profile is good.

Thanks
Nikhil

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:07 AM Nikhil Mittal <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Written : 8
>
> Thanks
> Nikhil
>
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, 12:23 pm HR Livesalesman, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nikhil,
>>
>> Please evaluate!
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harpreet Jaswal
>> Cherry E Commerce Services Pvt. Ltd.
>> Noida, India
>> +911204332621 Ex.12
>> +917042335393
>>
>>
>>
>>   *Foreign Language Screening Test*
>>
>> Name SHIVEK KUMAR SICKY    /  (91) 9013472914    / [email-masked]
>> Whats your first language German
>> Please answer in grammatically correct ENGLISH the following situation in
>> 100 words: You are working for Pizza Hut as a phone order executive. You
>> took the order from a customer and informed him that his order will be
>> delivered in 30 minutes. The customer calls you back after 45 minutes
>> complaining that he has not received his Pizza yet. When you check you
>> realised that you made a mistake and you entered his address incorrectly.
>> You have the customer waiting on phone, what would you do in this situation? 1.
>> Since, it is a case of human error therefore first of all I being an
>> executive will apologize for this huge human error. Secondly, keeping in
>> mind that the customer satisfaction is at stake, I will try to convince
>> him/her by offering some perks, which must be under the company norms. This
>> could range or vary from offering a discount over the pizza or else giving
>> a combo offer, whatever it may be. I will try to empathize the customer
>> feelings by saying something like “I am sorry that you feel that way” or “I
>> can see that the situation has upset you”. This should also be done in a
>> different manner by offering some lucrative offers over the product,
>> keeping in view that this should neither affect the customer's pocket nor
>> the company accounts. As in most of such situations, customers want us to
>> understand them and also their current situation therefore, dealing with
>> the customer problem should be our prime concern.
>> In short, as an executive we should be less emotive and full attentive
>> while listening to the complaints of the customers. Once the problem is
>> well identified, the solutions provided must be customer supportive and
>> cost effective. This may reduce the customer anger and can help us to reach
>> at a better conclusion.
>> By doing all this, if the customer’s anger is justified and if I as an
>> executive have handled the situation as described above, I as an executive
>> strongly believe that I have somehow succeeded  to have strengthened the
>> customer’s relationship not only with us, but also with you our esteemed
>> organization. As a later step I will also try to discover and investigate
>> internally with my team members over the issue, in order to see whether
>> something that needs to be fixed in our customer service, so that such
>> blunders must not be repeated in the near future.
>> In ENGLISH - Please describe your Background (Personal, Educational,
>> Professional) - 50 - 100 words 2. Hello, I am Shivek Kumar Sicky. I am a
>> resident of Gaya district of Bihar. Gaya is famous for Bodhgaya. It is the
>> land of enlightenment for Lord Buddha. I have finished my undergrad from
>> JNU, New Delhi, in German language in 2012. After finishing my undergrad, I
>> have worked with Kendriya Vidyalaya, Viramgam District, in the state of
>> Gujarat, in Ahmedabad region for a year. During this period of my work, I
>> had a chance to gain experience as a language trainer and acquire new
>> learning skills. A year later, I left the job and continued to my further
>> studies and has done my masters from JNU, in the year 2013 from
>> linguistics. In the meantime, I have also done several freelancing jobs a
>> German translator and interpreter and has also undertaken several projects.
>> The latest work experience that adds some experience to my CV is with
>> Concentrix Gurugram. There I worked as a senior customer executive Band 4.
>> I used to participate in a lot of academic as well as non-academic
>> activities during my student life. I have won several prizes and awards for
>> my poetry, as writing and literature are my passion and hobbies. As
>> mentioned above, I owe some good past experience of working as a Freelancer
>> and Coordinators of fair organizing clubs of international fairs. This has
>> helped me to develop my communication and has also added some values to my
>> management skills. In spare time, I love to write blogs and poetry. Being
>> in linguistics, I have also some knowledge of certain programming languages
>> such as Java and python etc.  Playing with technologies is my favorite past
>> time. This is due to my increasing interest in working with NLP (Natural
>> language processing) fields. I am really excited about this opportunity
>> because the job description is well-matched with my profile. I can assure
>> you that if I get this opportunity, my skills and experience will add real
>> value to the company and also to my dictionary of knowledge as well.
>> In YOUR LANGUAGE: What according to you is the difference between good
>> and great customer service? Der Hauptunterschied zwischen der
>> Bereitstellung eines „guten“ Kundenservice und der Bereitstellung eines
>> „großartigen“ Kundenservice besteht darin, dass in den ersten fall
>> wahrscheinlich versuchen  wir unsere kunden sehr zufrieden zu stellen, und
>> in den letzten fall versuchen wir nicht nur  dieser kunden  zu halten und
>> zufrieden, sondern auch treuer mit uns.
>> Ein guter Kundenservice besteht darin, dem Kunden nicht nur das
>> anzubieten, was er benötigt, sondern auch seine Probleme zu verstehen und
>> entsprechend zu lösen.
>> Andererseits besteht ein ausgezeichneter Kundenservice darin,  nicht nur
>> auf die Bedürfnisse eines Kunden zu konzentrieren, sondern auch dafür zu
>> sorgen, dass der Kunde bei uns wohl und sehr sicher fühlt. Dies entwickelt
>> ein Maß an Vertrauen und Bindung zwischen den beiden.
>>
>>
>> Please answer this question in YOUR LANGUAGE: In 5 sentences please
>> explain what makes you the right candidate for customer service job. Als
>> guter Kundenvertreter habe ich  die folgende eigenschaften, die mich für
>> diesen Job in der Lage halten:-
>>
>> 1.Meine Aufrichtigkeit und Engagement für Spitzenleistungen.
>>
>> 2.Meine Leidenschaft, fur den Kunden einen kompromisslosen Service zu
>> bieten, während die Unternehmensgrundsätze des Unternehmens einzuhalten.
>>
>> 3.Ich habe eine guter und sehr effektive kommunikationsfähigkeit.
>>
>> 4.Ich habe die gute fähigkeit, ob positiv und negativ oder  auch die
>> stressige situationen sehr gut zu reagieren.
>>
>> 5.Ich habe die bereitschaft, in den neue wege zu beschreiten und zum
>> eigentlichen nutzen dass nicht nur meine arbeit verbessert , sondern auch
>> meine Fähigkeiten und meinen Charakter  verbessern kann.
>> Please answer this question in YOUR LANGUAGE: In 200 - 500 words please
>> tell us about any city or town that you traveled to Ich habe viele Orte
>> in Indien besucht. Reisen macht nicht nur Spaß, sondern auch sehr
>> interessant. Reisen gibt uns die Möglichkeit, mehr über die Geschichte und
>> die Kulturen zu erfahren. In den letzten tagen habe ich, Taj mahal in Agra
>> besucht. Mit meiner Familie erreichte ich im Agra mit dem Zug. Nach einiger
>> Pause, haben wir Agra besucht. Agra ist eine historische Stadt. Es gibt
>> viele schöne und sehenswerte historische Orte in Indien aber das Taj Mahal
>> von Agra ist am schönsten von allen. Wir besuchten zuerst das Taj Mahal.
>> Das Taj Mahal wurde vor ungefähr dreihundertfünfzig Jahren vom Mogulkaiser
>> Shah Jahan in Erinnerung an seine geliebte Königin Mumtaj erbaut. Es liegt
>> am Ufer des Flusses Yamuna. Taj Mahal ist ein Traum aus Marmor, das könnte
>> man vor Ort sagen. Es sieht von allen Seiten weiß aus. Die grünen
>> Grasbüschel und die grünen Triebe heißer Zypressen schmückten seine
>> majestätische Schönheit.Wir gingen die Treppe hinunter. Wir fanden die
>> Gräber des Königs und der Königin unter der Kuppel in einer dunklen Kammer.
>> Mehrfarbige Glasstücke und Couplets bilden den Koran, der die Seitenwände
>> schmückt. Die vier Minarette standen als Wachmänner an jedem der
>> Hauptgebäude. Gegen Mittag hatten wir die Tour durch Taj Mahal
>> abgeschlossen und kehrten zurück. Ich habe meine Reise zum Taj Mahal sehr
>> genossen. Es war wirklich ein unvergessliches erlebnis, das uns nicht nur
>> intellektuell belohnte, sondern auch einen einblick in die stolze
>> Geschichte unseres Landes gab.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>