Subject: Order 600947940_3
From: Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
To: Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>, Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]>, Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 18:22:04 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

The customer already paid 107 AED when 600947940_2 which was delivered on
13 August as shown on WIMO. However, when the last shipment has been
dispatched, the invoice has not been adjusted, hence the driver (Anil
Kumar) asked for payment.

The customer was extremely furious because it's already been delayed and
now she was asked to pay again. Therefore, I have advised Anil to proceed
with the delivery to resolve this issue since payment was confirmed as
shown below.

Invoice for SO 600947940_2

Invoice for SO 600947940_3

Thank you
Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE