Subject: Wrong Update - 600936848
From: Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
To: Clearway Express <[email-masked]>, Muhammad Ayoub <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 11:03:30 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

Just spoke with the customer to verify if she already received her order
but as per her, she canceled the order.

She received a call when the time she was in a meeting, she asked the
driver to come back at 4 but no one came. As per the customer, she then
informed the driver to cancel her order.

The customer didn't receive it but on the record, it shows delivered.

Has this been returned already? if not, please do so.

Thank you
Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE