Subject: UNDELIVERED MAY ORDER - Order No. 600869511_2
From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
To: lastmile <[email-masked]>, Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 12:44:29 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi team,

The customer for the above-mentioned order called to follow up and is upset
about the huge delay.

The order was placed in May and did not receive the delivery. On our system
shows :

The customer no longer needs the shipment due to excessive delay and is
requesting for a refund.

Kindly check and update ASAP.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE