Subject: RE: Bibs Pacifier Concern
From: Simone van Geemen <[email-masked]>
To: Triibe Distribution <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 13:47:38 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Maria,

Thanks for sharing this feedback – that’s a horrible experience indeed!

@Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]> @'customer care' <[email-masked]>
can you please investigate this and get in touch with the customer
accordingly? See email with images customer below..

Kind regards,

*From:* Triibe Distribution <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 4, 2020 1:27 PM
*To:* Simone van Geemen <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Bibs Pacifier Concern

Hi Simone,

Good day and hope you are doing well.

Our social media team received the below message from a customer, kindly
see below images and message:

Kindly help us check the issue from your end and keep us posted. It could
be a return item (we are receiving Bibs returned items with the red
sticker) and maybe by mistake was included in the delivery box to the
customer, appreciate your kind assistance.

Thank you.

Maria

***Important Notice: Tribe Distribution will be transferring into a new
office soon and will take a few days to install the new telephone line.
Meanwhile, you may contact us at this mobile number/WhatsApp: +971 52 212
9382.*

*Triibe Distribution DMCC*

*TRN: 100449249000003*

Office 210 (2nd Flr.) Jumeirah Bay X2,

Jumeirah Lakes Towers Cluster X

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

E:  [email-masked]

W: www.tribedistribution.co

T: -