Subject: Missing Items - 600854031// clearway express: Ronald
From: Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
To: Mostafa Said <[email-masked]>, "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 10:58:11 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

The subject order is related to.  Incident #1199044  unfortunately, it has
been closed for whatever unknown reason.

This was placed in May and there are several items missing.

600854031 MD-BZ10208-01
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=297243> BABYZEN
YOYO Board - Black

On this bundle, only the frame was received

600854031 MZ-YOYO2-0+-6+-MD-BZ10109-02-MD-BZ10107-05-MD-BZ10104-05-A
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=1145363> BABYZEN
YOYO2 0+ & 6+ Stroller Bundle (Frame+Newborn Pack+Color Pack)

600854031 NMT-2MN0691
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=572465> Nexcare
- Postpartum Support Medium
May we know what had happened on this case, please?

The customer is extremely upset and asking for a refund now. We need an
urgent update on this case.

Please prioritize. Thank you

Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE