Subject: KSA Order Cancellation - Order No. 200310285_1
From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
To: Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, Ahmed Irfan <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:21:06 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi team,

The customer called and requested to cancel the order due to excessive
delay.

Please assist to cancel and to update CRA to proceed with the refund
process.

The customer informed that they will raise a formal complaint to the
Ministry of Commerce if not done ASAP.

Kindly do the needful.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE