Subject: 100167311_1 || DHL-Express::6030150770 || URGENT
From: Amani Bani Odeh <[email-masked]>
To: "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Uae Lastmile <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 00:57:36 +0300
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dears,

Please check and confirm what exactly was shipped in the package the
customer didn't receive one quantity for  SKU#BW-9781783412716
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=654184>
and SKU# AG-P-RF102340C-1.5
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=1106278>  ,
SKU#AG-P-RF102341C-10.5
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=1106282>

NS show the below but SKU# AG-P-RF102340C-1.5
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=1106278>  ,
SKU#AG-P-RF102341C-10.5
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=1106282>
still showing processing from the customer side and not update as shipped
on Magento

DHL Shipment show delivered  , Please confirm asap as the customer is
asking for a refund for the items she didn't receive

Thanks,
Amani