Subject: Cashback Voucher Issue
From: Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
To: Sara Ahmed <[email-masked]>, Amr Abed <[email-masked]>, Pradeep M <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 12:08:36 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

As per the customer she tried to use her cashback vouchers for the specific
month it is allotted but it didn't go through until it got expired. She
tried to communicate through chat but no response received.

She has the July voucher - CB-KWHNU-45VQH. It shows active but when I tried
placing an order on her behalf, it says it was applied but it has not been
deducted,

Here is the customer's email address:    [email-masked]

Is it possible to reactivate the other 2 vouchers that got expired because
of the same issue?

Please assist. Thank you

Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE