Subject: Fwd: Order #700244602 // Sku :BK-S2400-235 // Cam - Istante 2-in-1 High Chair - Orange // Defective
From: Samiya Sheikh <[email-masked]>
To: Denmark A <[email-masked]>, Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 18:30:24 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi denmark and kenneth,

Please note the below. also please arrange an urgent reship.

Regards

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 5:53 PM
Subject: RE: Order #700244602 // Sku :BK-S2400-235 // Cam - Istante 2-in-1
High Chair - Orange // Defective
To: Samiya Sheikh <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michaela Manibo <[email-masked]>, customer care <
[email-masked]>, Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>, Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>, Account <[email-masked]>

We will be sending tomorrow the replacement. Please get in touch with our
driver.

*From:* Samiya Sheikh <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:08 PM
*To:* Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <[email-masked]>; Denmark A <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Michaela Manibo <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Account <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #700244602 // Sku :BK-S2400-235 // Cam - Istante
2-in-1 High Chair - Orange // Defective

Hi Team,

Customer confirmed the high chair is stuck in one side. she requested for a
replacement item.

Regards

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:35 PM Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Our person will be coming to your warehouse today. Please get in touch with
him. His name is endurance.

*From:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 14, 2020 11:46 AM
*To:* Michaela Manibo <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <
[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Account <
[email-masked]>; Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Order #700244602 // Sku :BK-S2400-235 // Cam - Istante
2-in-1 High Chair - Orange // Defective

Dear Michaela,

Vendor is asking regarding what was the specific reason for returning so
that they can proceed and solve the issue.

Please contact and inform the customer.

@Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <[email-masked]> Item is with us already
could you please check and evaluate it.

Regards,

Den mark

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM Michaela Manibo <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Team,

Customer is following up again and he is very upset about the waiting time
as his baby needs this ASAP

Please advise ..

Thanks

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM Denmark A <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Team,

Please update.

Regards,

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 2:38 PM Denmark A <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Mari,

Item is with us.

@customer care <[email-masked]> @Alina D'Souza
<[email-masked]> Please
inform the customer regarding what was the specific reason of return.

Regards,

Den mark

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 2:31 PM Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Dear Team,

Kindly clarify exactly the problem on the item?. Kindly provide more photos
or videos please. Where is the item?

*From:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Sunday, July 12, 2020 1:02 PM
*To:* Mari Ibasan (CW.Accounts) <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Order #700244602 // Sku :BK-S2400-235 // Cam - Istante 2-in-1
High Chair - Orange // Defective

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation and assessment.

POMUMZ_DXB219447

Return Reason: doesnt_work_or_defective
Comments: I want to replace this product with the same product and not
return. Please send an email to this account [email-masked] or
call 0507992080

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you.

Regards,

Den mark