Subject: Daily Team Brief: 2nd of July 2020
From: Rodina Magdy <[email-masked]>
To: customer care <[email-masked]>
Cc: Asad <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>, Rosette Modiri <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 09:34:26 +0200
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dear All,

*Safety Tip:* Wear Face Masks at all times

*Standard Work Question:* CRA Process

*Productivity (Positives + Negatives):*

·         New tracker for adding the replacement orders information with
the difference amount.

·         Merging tickets.

·         CRA Process, and how to escalate the CRA.

·         Wimo Tracking numbers. ( https://track.wimo.ae/ )

·         For any inquiry related to Naqel shipment “You can send it to me
on my whatsapp or through the email”.

·         Middle Mile Shipment.

·         Terra Wash Return Guarantee offer *for KSA*“ Free return from the
purchase day for 1 month if they are not satisfied with the product ,
Return fees is not included”

*Plan for today:*

·         Ministry Complains

·         Part shipments for KSA

·        Monitor the progress of all folders

·         Update our weekly schedule.

And kindly check the below update for Terra Wash

-- 
*Best Regards,*
*Rodina Salem*
*CS Leader*
*P* +20 100 888 3893   *E* [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
*A* Cairo, Egypt