Subject: Re: Order #600877843
From: "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>
To: Uae Lastmile <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mariam Zeineddine <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, Lubna Forzley <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 14:43:02 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Mostafa,

Another case mentioned as item collected on the Collection Tracker the
collection has not been received yet

Customer complaining on social media. Updated the sheet again please
arrange collection asap

@Lubna Forzley <[email-masked]>   GC has been issued to the customer
will take 15 mins to reflect

Regards,
Alina

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:22 PM Mariam Zeineddine <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hello,
> Hope you're well,
>
> I have filed a ticket on zendesk for the subjected order.
> The customer has received the wrong item, and the status is pending
> receipt but there's a CRA.
>
> Thank you
> KIndly advise.
> Customer is very imp.
>