Subject: Inaccurate updates - RoadRiders::MohamedAyoub
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "'Asad'" <[email-masked]>, "'Eugene Mugisa'" <[email-masked]>, "'Shady Elgendy'" <[email-masked]>, "'Mohamed Magdy'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'customer care'" <[email-masked]>, "'Ekta Jesswani'" <[email-masked]>, "'Amir Julkarnain'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:13:45 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi All,

Appreciate your support with the below orders. As all orders were marked as
delivered when the customer have not received anything.

This is causing many complaints over emails and calls ( and almost all of
them are from the same driver)

Please advise as we only have an email address for this courier and we don't
get a prompt response.

Examples of the orders;

600901489

600900631_1

600893741_2

600900608_2

600899989  

600898466

 

Radwa Ali
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 526476307│ e: Radwa <mailto:[email-masked]> @mumzworld.com  │
w:  <http://www.mumzworld.com/> www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE