Subject: Re: Order #600833184 // MBI-AQ-1002 // Name :Quran Book Point Read Pen //Damaged
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: "Denmark A" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "customer care" <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, "Samran Iftikhar" <[email-masked]>, "Umang Mehrotra" <[email-masked]>, "Mohamed Magdy" <[email-masked]>, "ali aboudeh" <[email-masked]>, "mbi mbi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:53:00 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi, Den,

Please return back to us, we can replace or return the item.

Regards

Paul

 

-------Original Message-------

From: Denmark A

Date: 6/17/2020 12:37:27 PM

To: mbi mbi;  [email-masked];  ali aboudeh

Cc: customer care;  Returns.fc;  Alina D'Souza;  Samran Iftikhar;  Umang
Mehrotra;  Mohamed Magdy

Subject: Order #600833184 // MBI-AQ-1002 // Name :Quran Book Point Read Pen
//Damaged

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation. 

Return Reason:doesnt_work_or_defective

Comments :1 device is not working !  

 

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you. 

Regards,

Den mark