Subject: 600882504 - Missing Item - VERY URGENT
From: Edel Saballa <[email-masked]>
To: "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Inbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>, Vipul Arora <[email-masked]>, John Joseph Lantaca <[email-masked]>, Catalogue Data <[email-masked]>, Customer Care Team <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, John Joseph Lantaca <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>, Asad <[email-masked]>, logistics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:22:44 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Oiutbound, Inbound

The customer ordered the below item:

3 x TM-30290
<https://3651277.app.netsuite.com/app/common/item/item.nl?id=1052311> Selpak
Delux Refreshed Toilet Paper 3 Ply 4 Rolls

The description in our website and image clearly mentions pack of 4 rolls
(3 ply) therefore the customer should have received 3 x pack of 4 rolls (12
rolls in total)

https://www.mumzworld.com/en/selpak-delux-refreshed-toilet-paper-3-ply-4-rolls

However, the customer has only received 6 rolls (3 x pack of 2 rolls) as
opposed to 12 (3 x pack of 4 rolls). Please locate and send the missing
rolls (6 pcs) to the customer today itself.

@Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]> - please get back to the customer today
itself as soon as you get an update from outbound and inbound on this. We
should not delay fixing this issue as the customer has been following up
for sometime.

@John Joseph Lantaca <[email-masked]> - worth checking with the
vendor if the description on our website is 100% correct, AED12 is normally
the price of 2 rolls (pack of 2) in the supermarket.

BR
Edel Saballa