Subject: BROKEN ITEM SWAP - Order #600877891 / new Order # 600889106 |
From: "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>
To: Syed Yakoob <[email-masked]>, Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>, "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>, Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 19:35:40 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Syed,

Please pick and pack new order # 600889106, and kindly handover the item to
Outbound

@Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]> @Mostafa saad
<[email-masked]> Kindly arrange delivery tomorrow and ask our
driver to collect the old order# 600877891 CRA_AR_RE12578

@Denmark A <[email-masked]> - CRA to update once received.
Order #600877891 <https://mumzworldhelp.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/600877891>

Products Details
Sku :TAS-SPS100
Name :Spectra Baby - S1 Double Electric Pump - Soft Blue
Date Placed :2020-06-01 08:32:05
Date Shipped :2020-06-02 23:21:41
Qty Ordered :1.0000
Amount :999.6
Shipping Country:United Arab Emirates

Return Reason:doesnt_work_or_defective
Comments :We just received our Spectra S1 breast pump yesterday(Order #
600877891). When we opened the pump today, the backflow protector on one of
the pumps has a connection piece that is broken. See attached picture.
Could we keep the pump and just have a replacement part delivered? If this
could happen today or tomorrow we would appreciate it. My wife is in great
need of this breast pump for her health and the health of our baby.

Regards,

Alina