Subject: RE: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing
From: Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
To: Yuri Myronov <[email-masked]>, Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>, LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>, Perfetto Ecommerce <[email-masked]>, Nespresso <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, Samran Iftikhar <[email-masked]>, Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 13:32:04 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dear Yuri,

As discussed over the phone, I will look into this asap.

Regards.

Marla

*From:* Yuri Myronov <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 12:55 PM
*To:* Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>; Denmark A <
[email-masked]>; LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>; Perfetto
Ecommerce <[email-masked]>; Nespresso <[email-masked]>;
Marla Joy Laurico <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia
D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing
*Importance:* High

Dear Marla,

I hope this email finds you well.

As discussed over the phone – kindly note on the below matter and attached
email communication.

It is really goes beyond of acceptable that customer is still waiting for
missing product. We have already confirmed that the right product was
picked from our WH however the wrong product was delivered to the customer
and it Is not the first time that this happened. We have already suggested
on the solution – please refer to the attached email.

This kind of accidents are affecting both Brand’s image and we can’t afford
that.

Kindly address this issue to the concerned department and get it resolved
urgently.

Awaiting for your feedback on the resolution.

Thanks and best regards,

*Yuri Myronov* | Trade Manager

[image:
logosandpictos-logosandpictograms-b2c-pictograms-services-3d-whitetexte-040420141241]*Perfetto
Trading Company L.L.C.  *

Emarat Atrium Bldg. - Office 207, Sheikh Zayed Road

Dubai, United Arabs Emirates, P.O. Box 282445

Tel: +971 4 3210888    Mob: +971 50 9586879

800NESPRESSO (800637773776)    www.buynespresso.com

<https://ae.buynespresso.com/ae_en/>

*ü* Please consider the environment before printing this email.

*Disclaimer: This message and any attachments transmitted with it contain
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
recipient and may be legally privileged information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail
or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this message by mistake and permanently delete it from your
system. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of Perfetto Trading Co. LLC with another party by email
without express written confirmation in hard copy. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. The
recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message or for any damage caused by any
virus/worms transmitted by this email. If verification is required,
please request a hard-copy version.*

*From:* Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* 08 June 2020 12:25
*To:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>; Yuri Myronov <
[email-masked]>; LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>; Perfetto
Ecommerce <[email-masked]>; Nespresso <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* RE: Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia
D40 with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Hi! Denmark,

Please find attached mail from Yuri regarding below issue.

Note that as per communication it seems that your warehouse team sent
single machine instead of bundle.

Kindly find below the difference of packaging for Inissia single and
Inissia bundle machine.

Thank you & Best Regards,

*Pinky Dechimo* | Trade Coordinator

[image:
logosandpictos-logosandpictograms-b2c-pictograms-services-3d-whitetexte-040420141241]*Perfetto
Trading Company L.L.C.  *

Emarat Atrium Bldg. - Office 207, Sheikh Zayed Road

Dubai, United Arabs Emirates, P.O. Box 282445

Tel: +971 4 321 0888    Mob: +971 50 955 6197

800NESPRESSO (800637773776)    www.buynespresso.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

*Disclaimer: This message and any attachments transmitted with it contain
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
recipient and may be legally privileged information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail
or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this message by mistake and permanently delete it from your
system. No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of Perfetto Trading Co. LLC with another party by email
without express written confirmation in hard copy. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. The
recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message or for any damage caused by any
virus/worms transmitted by this email. If verification is required,
please request a hard-copy version.*

*From:* Denmark A <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 12:00 PM
*To:* Pinky Dechimo <[email-masked]>; Yuri Myronov <
[email-masked]>; LPO Perfetto <[email-masked]>; Perfetto
Ecommerce <[email-masked]>; Nespresso <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Samran
Iftikhar <[email-masked]>; Umang Mehrotra <[email-masked]>;
Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Order # 600832385 // PRFT-D40BU-BK // NESPRESSO - Inissia D40
with Aeroccino Coffee Machine // Missing

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation.

Customer Comment:

the aeroccino is missing

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you.

Regards,

Den mark